Saturday, November 21, 2009

Step in Line or Fall Behind

I was recently talking to my boss about computers and technology in the workplace the other day and it occurred to me how prevalent they have become in the workplace these days. I feel like in order to keep up anymore you have to know not only something about computers but an infinite amount about them. We are currently in the process of switching our entire work system to a sharepoint computer system. We will do nothing on paper anymore. I realized how lost I just might become once we turn over to the new system of doing things. I already feel as though I am useless as I cannot help get the sharepoint site up and running because I know absolutely nothing about it as it stands right now. I feel as though I have become less of an asset to them as a company than what I was when we were more of a paper company and needed someone to organize things.
I have also noticed while searching for a new job that employers want to know what you bring to their company, technology-wise mainly. They want to know if you understand twitter, facebook, news feeds, blogs, etc. They want you to be ahead of the game on the things they didn't have to be when they got their jobs. That is why it is so important for us to continuously be learning about the new technologies that can be offered so that we are not replaced. So make sure that you step in line or you just might fall behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment