Saturday, November 28, 2009

Papers and Posters

So I just got done reading the Naam article for our paper that is due this Wednesday and I have to say that I found it pretty interesting. I found the most interesting part to be that all of the interfaces that we have been working on, or should I say scientists have been working on, and implants are not just for the people who need to improve something they have lost such as their sight or hearing but also to enhance what healthy people already have. I found this to be both interesting as well as selfish. DARPA wants to benefit for intelligence needs from these advances but there are people who cannot hear the rain outside their window or cannot see the sun shining outside and we are more worried about things such as if we can fly a plane with our brain instead of a human. Now don't get me wrong I think that it is extremely important what they are doing and they have made such unique advances in the field but I feel like they need to think of the small people first. I think we tend to get caught up in the bigger picture sometimes.
Another sidenote to the article was that I thought it was interesting and I wanted to talk a little bit about that. I never knew about some of the advances we were making with technology or that they were even possible until I read this article which also made me step back and analyze one of my previous blogs. I felt somewhat remorseful for the fact that i slammed the fact that some of the groups had done medical technologies but now I feel I understand why, they are simply more interesting than say a cell phone. This also lead me to re-analyze where I was going with my poster project. I had decided after missing the mark with our technology pitch that I would do a medical technology but I chosen bionic limbs. After reading this article I had decided that I want to change my idea to something to do with the Parkinson's disease and the implants they have designed to try to work with that. Overall I found this article to be insightful and humbling....

No comments:

Post a Comment